This Week

24 nov
Description: Discover the heritage that the beach of Avencas has and that is so ...
24 nov
Come and see a lecture on the world of bees, you can visit the teaching apiary ...

Themes

Most popular

Casa de Santa Maria (House of Santa Maria)



Inseparable from the landscape of Cascais, in the set that it forms with the Farol Museu de Santa Marta (Santa Marta Lighthouse Museum) and the Museu-Biblioteca Condes de Castro Guimarães (Condes de Castro Guimarães Museum-Library), the Casa de Santa Maria (House of Santa Maria) was acquired by the Câmara Municipal de Cascais (Municipal Council of Cascais) from the Espírito Santo family in October 2004.
 
It is a building from 1902 and is one of the most emblematic works by the architect Raul Lino, who began his career precisely in Cascais, designing a series of houses for some friends.
 
In the late 19th century, Jorge O'Neil, an aristocrat connected to the tobacco industry, purchased some land near Santa Marta and first had the Tower of S. Sebastião Tower built, the current Condes de Castro Guimarães Museum-Library and, a little later, Casa de Santa Maria (House of Santa Maria).
 
In around 1917, the property was sold to the engineer José Lino Júnior, the older brother of the architect, Raul Lino. For his new home, José Lino, a major collector and art lover, bought a set of artistic tiles from the 17th century and a wooden oil painted ceiling which has been attributed to António de Oliveira Bernardes. This estate came from an old chapel, in Frielas.
 
Later, in 1925, the house was acquired by the Espírito Santo family, who received famous personalities such as the Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg and her family, the Counts of Barcelona, King Umberto II of Italy, the Dukes of Windsor, among others.
 
Designed in length, Casa Santa Maria (House of Santa Maria) consists of a series of compartments, which are the result of an exercise of well-designed growth. Inside, there is a connection of a series of elements, highlighting a large number of figurative and patterned tiles, with rustic and religious iconography, and the oil painted wooden ceiling which was adapted to the dining room. The existence of such a rich and diverse collection of tiles, panels such as the Purification of Our Lady, the Flight into Egypt, the Virgin with Jesus and St. John the Baptist as boys, the Circumcision, Jesus among the Doctors, Our Lady sewing, reveal an indisputable valuable asset , as it is the artistic repertoire of Portuguese Baroque.
 
The space that is sought out for themed guided tours regularly hosts conferences, book presentations, several workshops, temporary exhibitions and free courses. Its facilities may also be requested for weddings and other events of a social and promotional character.
 
Timetable:
 Tuesdays to Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
 Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
 Closed on Mondays and public holidays

Search in agenda

Cascais Digital

banner_cascais_0banner_cascaisambiente_0banner_cascaisparticipa_0banner_cascaisjovem_0banner_cascalitosbanner_lojacascaisccbanner_geocascaisbanner_agendacascaisbanner_fixcascais