This Week

26 nov
This course of Portuguese language for foreigners aims at developing the ...
17 aug
In the Clube dos Cascalitos you can learn from the Association São Francisco de ...
18 aug
This tour intends to challenge you to venture along the paths of Pisão. We ...

Themes

Most popular

Condes de Castro Guimarães Museum


Tuesdays - Fridays10:00am-5:00pm
Sat. and Sun.10:00am-01:00pm | 02:00pm-05:00 pm

Free

Condes de Castro Guimarães Museum Avenida Rei Humberto II de Itália
Parque Marechal Carmona
2750-319 Cascais

Located inside Parque Marechal Carmona the Condes de Castro Guimarães Museum was inaugurated in 1931 and is the oldest museum space in the county.

The Torre de S. Sebastião (Tower of S. Sebastião), now Museu-Biblioteca Condes de Castro Guimarães , dates back to the early 20th century and was built on the initiative of the aristocrat Jorge O'Neil. A remarkable piece of romantic architecture, Torre de S. Sebastião fascinates due to its mix of styles and by its mystical surroundings which makes one imagine stories from other times...

In 1910, the palace was sold to the Counts of Castro Guimarães.  After making some changes, the Counts took up residence in it for most of the year.  The good taste of the couple was reflected in the acquisition of furniture and pieces of art representative of various eras, as well as their interest in culture which is felt in the purchase of two of the most significant elements of the current collection of the museum: a neo-gothic organ, made to order by the Count and the valuable Chronicle of King Afonso Henriques by Duarte Galvão.

The Counts used this magnificent palace for only a short time. When he passed away in 1927, the Count left the house and the property to the Municipality of Cascais, so that a House-Museum and Public Garden be constituted. The Museu-Biblioteca Condes de Castro Guimarães was officially inaugurated on the 12th of July 1931, and was, for many years, the only one in the county of Cascais.

The Educational Service of the Museu Condes de Castro Guimarães has existed since 1964, which was when the guided tours for school groups and the plastic arts workshops began. This sector is the main connection between the museum and the public.

Timetable:

 Tuesdays to Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
 Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
 Closed on Mondays and public holidays

Spaces and collections
Capela de S. Sebastião (Chapel of S. Sebastian)


Search in agenda

Cascais Digital

banner_cascais_0banner_cascaisambiente_0banner_cascaisparticipa_0banner_cascaisjovem_0banner_cascalitosbanner_lojacascaisccbanner_geocascaisbanner_agendacascaisbanner_fixcascais